Rabindra Dhungel, 21 august 2020. In women, a sudden stoppage of ‘menstruation’ (menstruation) can seem like a ‘dream come true’, especially for women who want to get pregnant. But for others, stopping menstruation – having amenorrhea – can be a cause for fear. Lack of or late menstruation can cause anxiety in most women, as it may also be a sign of old age. So stopping menstruation can be a source of stress and anxiety for women, which can take a monstrous form.
“When our physical process is regular, it’s like a kind of magic,” said California gynecologist Dr. “When menstruation is very regular, it means in 1 month, most women feel both mentally and physically balanced,” said Sherry Ross.
Under normal circumstances, the menstrual cycle begins every 28 days. But in some people this cycle may start sooner or later. This cycle lasts until menopause, when women reach 50 years of age (on average). However, there are a number of reasons why menstruation may stop before it occurs. These factors can range from physical to environmental.
1. Tumors of the uterus : Sherry Ross says 5 to 10 percent of women can be affected by polycystic ovary syndrome. This is a condition in which a woman’s uterus develops a small tumor-like flesh called a cyst. Although the cyst is not very dangerous, it can cause hormonal imbalances in the body, which can lead to irregular menstruation and stop menstruation.
“PCOS causes women’s hormones, estrogen and progesterone, to be completely erratic,” says Ross. Some may start menstruating every 3 to 6 months and some may start menstruating every 1 year. ” So if menstruation starts earlier than every 21 days or later than every 45 days, Ross suggests seeing a doctor immediately.
2. Medication side effects : Sometimes, certain medications such as birth control pills, aspirin, ibuprofen and other powerful painkillers can also cause hormonal imbalances that play an important role in a woman’s menstrual cycle. Therefore, it is important to consult a physician before taking any such medication, says Ross.
3. Obesity : Obesity plays a very important role in the regularity of menstruation. “Even if the amount of fat in the body is very low, the risk of stopping menstruation in women increases,” says Ross.
4. More exercise : Women who exercise a lot and women who are athletes are found to weigh less than normal, or shouldn’t be, because of a decrease in the production of a hormone called leptin in their body. This hormone helps in controlling the amount of fat in the body as well as regularizing the menstrual cycle. Therefore, women who exercise more are also more likely to have irregularities in the menstrual cycle.
5. Stress : Menstrual cramps are also affected by physical as well as mental factors, such as stress. When a woman is stressed, the body sends signals to the brain not to produce the hormones estrogen and progesterone, both of which are the main hormones needed for menstruation.
Lastly, if you suddenly stop menstruating, you are not necessarily pregnant. Also, it is not necessary that you are unhealthy and that it is harmful. There can be many reasons for stopping menstruation. It is important to make the right decision only after consulting a doctor.